Single sitting RCT: Dental treatment during and after Covid-19 pandemic
- Posted By: admin
Root canal treatment can often be effectuated in a single sitting, especially when there is an acute infection without any pus accumulation around the concerned tooth. In this case, the most functional and convenient diagnostic aid is an X-ray. The top dentists near Ballygunge inform that an X-ray shows whether there is a pus accumulation or not, in the form of Periapical Radiolucency.
The standard procedure of single sitting RCT
- The dentist opens the pulp chamber to gain access to the canals
- The infected nerve is identified, and the pulp chamber is cleaned with the use of rotary files (a unique instrument that aids in RCT treatment)
- The canals are disinfected with an antiseptic solution
- The root canals are made free of all debris with the help of rotary instruments
- The canals are cleaned and dried
- The biocompatible material is used to seal the canals
- The dentist then replenishes the cavity with the use of a permanent filling material (composite filling)
- Generally, the dentist caps the treated tooth after 15-20 days
What happens before the single sitting RCT procedure?
RCT is performed on anesthetized teeth because it eases the pain and keeps the patient relaxed. Once the tooth is anesthetized, the dental professional stretches a rubber sheet around the tooth to carry out the root canal treatment in Kolkata. The rubber acts like a protective layer. It keeps the saliva from getting contaminated with the bacterias when the procedure is being carried out.
What happens during the single sitting RCT procedure?
The dental professional then uses a drill to secure access to the infected nerve of the tooth. He drills a hole inside the tooth. The hole is extended till the pulp chamber, which is then cleaned with root canal files (instruments that resemble small pins). The root canal files are used in a twisting motion to scrape and scrub the root canal. When the root canal gets rid of the debris and bacterias, the top dentists near Ballygunge use premium quality filling material to seal the tooth’s interior.
What happens after the single sitting RCT procedure?
The patient is likely to suffer from minor dental pain as well as tender teeth. Tooth sensitivity is substantially reduced following the use of anti-inflammatory and analgesic medicine. After the procedure, the dental professional is likely to give a set of instructions. You should try to adhere to these instructions and even learn how to chew.
Who should go for this procedure?
- Individuals with degenerating tooth nerve tissue
- Individuals with dental pain-causing teeth
- Individuals who experience recurring pimples on the gums
- Individuals with an acute tooth abscess
The dentists would perform this standard procedure of single-sitting RCT before the pandemic situation. It is most likely that the same practice will be resumed post the pandemic. But, during the pandemic, some extra precautions should be taken while carrying out the single sitting RCT.
We are aware that the cross-infection risk involved in this pandemic crisis is high among dental practitioners and their patients. The unique methods involved in dental procedures make the transmission of infection through air droplets highly probable.
Route of Covid-19 infection transmission in dental clinic
The dental clinic near New Alipore lists down some of the possible ways in which the infection can transmit in a dental environment, like:
- The use of ultrasonic instruments or high-speed handpieces in patients carrying the infection can drive their saliva to stay suspended in the air, spreading the infection.
- Infection can also transpire through the rupture of sharp instruments, or any contact between the mucous membranes, indirect contact with the infected instruments/surfaces, or contaminated hands. The virus persists on surfaces for many days.
Precautions for treatment during Covid-19
For an effective root canal treatment in Kolkata, these things are taken into consideration:
A suspected case of Coronavirus infection should be identified
The dentists and their medical staff can perform this successfully by setting up a routine procedure for measuring each patient’s temperature and evaluating each patient. The team should inquire about the medical history as well as the travel history of each patient.
Preventive measures should be prioritized
- Dentists and their staff should rigorously maintain hand-hygiene by washing regularly.
- The top dentists near Ballygunge advise using protective barrier installation in contact areas in a clinical environment like a dental chair.
- The pieces of equipment and the machines installed for the treatment facility should be continuously disinfected and sterilized (doing it post each patient visit is considered wise)
- The dentists should install spray machines designed for sanitization in their clinics.
- Research proves that machines with HEPA filters and high volume suction, creating a vacuum that most likely traps 99% of the dust, are the most effective air conditioners.
The procedures involved in a dental setup can be categorized into three sections- green, orange, and red. The procedures that fall in the category:
- Green- can be carried out
- Abscess drainage
- Temporary filling
- Denture adjustment
- Hand scaling
- RCT access with the use of the slow-speed handpiece
- Fluoride application
- Digital impressions
- Orthodontic procedures
- Recementation of bridges and crowns, etc.
- Orange- can be carried out but with the imposition of strict protocols
- Post and core
- Soft tissue laser
- Single sitting RCT (done with rubber dam)
- Performed crowns
- Implant prosthetics
- GIC fillings
- Teeth whitening
- Direct veneers
- Diastema closures
- Intra-oral radiographs, etc.
- Red- should not be carried out at all (least advisable)
- Restoration and fillings that require aerosol
- Scaling as well as polishing with ultrasonics
- Implant surgeries
- Perio surgeries, etc.
During the procedure, it is essential to remember:
- The use of PPE kits to protect both the doctor and the patient from infection
- The removal of gloves in such a way that it prevents any additional contamination
- Use an antimicrobial mouth rinse before dental procedure
- Use high-volume saliva ejectors and rubber-dam during dental procedures for isolation
Dental professionals should use their professional experience in dental practices and outside the range of oral health activities to support community safety. With the implementation of safe practices, both the doctor and the patient can keep up with the challenges and reduce the risks involved in dental treatment.